Scott County Sheriff’s Office Ride-Along
Program Instructions to Applicant
Approved applicants shall meet the following requirements and responsibilities:
- Be eighteen (18) years of age or older. Any younger participants must have prior approval from the Sheriff or his designee, and a guardian’s signature of approval on the Hold Harmless Agreement.
- Must complete an information sheet and sign a hold harmless agreement.
- If under eighteen, the participant’s parent(s) must sign approval.
- Must present a neat, clean appearance.
- Follow any and all instructions by the deputy to which participant is assigned.
- Not interfere with the performance of the deputy.
- Possess no camera(s) and/or recording devices of any type without the approval of the Sheriff.
- Shall not leave the patrol car at the scene of any law enforcement activity to assist the deputy.
- The ride–along shall take place at the convenience of the operations of the department.
- No participant shall ride more than five (5) times per calendar year.
- Participants are to report to the department promptly at the assigned time of the ride–along.
- All participants are subject to a criminal background investigation prior to being allowed to participate in the program.
- Anyone with a misdemeanor conviction shall be allowed to ride with the approval of the Sheriff or Chief Deputy.
- Anyone with a felony conviction is prohibited from participating in the program.
- No weapons are permitted in the possession of the participant, unless the participant is certified law enforcement, is carrying concealed, and has prior approval from the Division Commander.
- Anyone may be denied participation at any time for any reason or for no stated reason.